We may earn affiliate fees for purchases using our links (at no additional cost to you).
Wiring is required for all air conditioners. It is dangerous to use the imperfect wire size for your AC unit, the circuit may be damaged, and the unit may be destroyed.
If you have a 220V AC, you’ll need a suitable size wire.
We’ll look at how to determine the wire size for an air conditioner to assist you in choosing an appropriate wire size for 220V AC.
What Size Wire Do I Require For A 220V AC Unit?
If you have a 220V AC, you’ll need a 10AWG wire. People know the necessities of wire for AC, but most have no idea about the correct wire size.
Here is a list of wire sizes for 220V AC.
|Air Conditioner Size||Amp Draw At 220V||Wire Size|
|2.5 Ton||13.64 Amps||14 AWG Wire|
|3 Ton||16.36 Amps||12 AWG Wire|
|3.5 Ton||19.09 Amps||12 AWG Wire|
|4 Ton||21.82 Amps||10 AWG Wire|
|4.5 Ton||24.55 Amps||10 AWG Wire|
|5 Ton||27.27 Amps||10 AWG Wire|
How To Calculate The Right Size Wire For 220V AC Unit?
The tonnage and voltage are usually the only things we know about our air conditioner.
On a 220V circuit, we have 1-ton, 2-ton, 3-ton, 4-ton AC units, etc. This is all of the data we require to compute the wire diameter.
- Calculate the maximum AC wattage depending on tonnage; the maximum wattage may also be found on the specs sheet.
- Calculate the amps based on the maximum wattage. You’ll have to utilize voltage in this case.
- Take into account the 80 percent NEC rule.
- After you’ve determined the minimum necessary amps, use this AWG range wire amps table to determine whether cables have sufficient ampacity.
- If you want at least 13.64A of current, you should use an 18 AWG wire.
How To Determining The Factors Of Wire Sizing For A 220V AC Unit?
After calculating the wire size for 220V air conditioners, it’s evident which elements significantly impact wire size.
- The electric current or load determines the size of the wire.
- A longer wire length might result in a larger wire than the ambient air temper—a higher temperature results in a larger wire size.
- A higher temperature allows for a smaller wire size.
- Copper wire is a fine conductor of aluminum wire.
- PVC, XLPE, and armor wire all have their standards.
- Wires run on perforated cable trays perform better than wires contained in trunking during installation.
FAQs About The Right Size Wire For 220V AC Unit
What Type Of Wire Do I Need For A 220v AC Unit?
Air conditioner circuits are typically connected with a nonmetallic wire. The wire gauge must be suitable for the circuit’s amperage.
However, while circuit breakers are intended to manage this surge, air conditioners will occasionally trip a circuit breaker during the start-up surge.
Can A 2.5mm Wire Run A 220v AC Unit?
The voltage is 220 volts; it ranges from 180 to 240 volts. AC claims a power consumption of 1550 watts.
The 15A sockets are limited by the2.5 mm line, which is good for 18A. A 220V 15A socket can produce 3.3 kW, and indeed at 180V, it can produce 2.7 kW.
Is It Costly To Buy The Right Size Wire To Run A 220v AC Unit?
Obviously, the best product will cost more. It may be a little expensive with labor costs if you buy good quality wire for 220v AC UNIT.
The Bottom Lines
Because air conditioners use a varying amount of electric current depending on their working circumstances, we must utilize the maximum current instead of the rated current or the operational current when sizing wire.
We can be sure that the wire’s performance will not be harmed by utilizing the maximum current no matter the conditions.
That is why the correct size wire for a 220v AC unit is needed.