We may earn affiliate fees for purchases using our links (at no additional cost to you).
Allen wrench is a must-have tool to fix block, malfunctioned or jammed garbage disposal.
But what size allen wrench for garbage disposal? To fix the garbage disposal, you need to use the right size and type of allen wrench.
Let’s drive into the article to know what size allen wrench you need.
What Size Allen Wrench For Garbage Disposal?
The right size depends on your garbage disposal model. But the standard size of the Allen wrench is 1/4 inch.
You can use a 1/4 inch allen wrench to fix most of the garbage disposal. But some units may not fit with this size.
It is important to check the disposal bolt size to find the correct size allen wrench.
Depending on bolt size and garbage disposal model, your wrench size also varies.
So you should check the user manual guide to know the right size recommendations according to your model.
How To Choose The Right Size Allen Wrench For Garbage Disposal
We already mentioned that the right size depends on some factors. There are no fixed size recommendations for allen wrench to fix the garbage disposal.
You should check the garbage disposal brand and model carefully to know the right size of the allen wrench.
Typically the ideal allen wrench size is between 1/4 inch to 1/2 inch for the maximum model of garbage disposal.
If you are not sure about the Allen wrench size, you can check the user manual guide. Once you have the right size allen wrench, it will be fun to fix the garbage disposal.
Obviously, the Allen wrench is not the best tool for garbage disposal. It is always better to use a garbage disposal wrench.
But as it is a bit expensive, the better alternative is using an allen wrench. To get the best performance from Allen wrench, you should ensure the fitting.
If you buy a too big or too small allen wrench, that can damage your disposal. So check the size carefully to avoid disaster.
How To Use An Allen Wrench?
Allen wrench is a versatile tool used for various household tasks. It is also known as a hex key. Most of us use it for tightening and loosening screws and bolts.
Especially when you have a clogged garbage disposal, it works as a savior. It is easy to use Allen wrench and is available in the hardware store.
Simply insert the wrench into the bolt or screw head to loosen or tighten it. Rotate the wrench in the desired direction until you loosen the screws.
Due to its simple functionality and affordable cost, shoppers prefer this wrench.
How To Remove Allen Wrench For Garbage Disposal?
Often our garbage disposal gets jammed. To fix this issue, you need to remove the Allen wrench.
Follow the below steps to remove the Allen wrench.
- Unplug the power switch of the garbage disposal
- Put a hex key into the disposer hole at the bottom.
- Then rotate the hex key counterclockwise to loosen and take out the Allen wrench.
- Now take a pair of pliers to discard the Allen wrench from the hole.
To fix a leak garbage disposal, you should replace the Allen wrench. Follow the below steps:
- Unplug the power switch.
- Take out the hex key from the disposer
- Apply pliers to remove Allen’s wrench.
- Next, pick a screwdriver to take out the screws that hold the disposal.
- Pull the disposal to take it out from the cabinet.
How To Fix A Garbage Disposal With Allen Wrench
If you have a malfunctioning garbage disposal, you can easily fix it using an Allen wrench.
The most common issues of garbage disposal can be solved with an Allen wrench. Let’s know how to fix garbage disposal with an Allen wrench.
- First, turn off the power supply of the garbage disposal.
- Then find the reset button from the bottom area and click it.
- If your problem still exists, locate the motor
- Now take an Allen wrench to loosen the bolts or screws that hold the motor.
- Apply a pair of pliers to remove the screws quickly
- When the screws are loosened, simply remove the motor
- Inspect it to find any defect or damage.
- If the motor is damaged, you should replace it.
- If the issue is with the blade or housing, then fix it yourself.
- Then reconnect the motor and tighten the screws again to fix it in the right place.
Clean The Disposal
- Use tongs to clean debris from the disposal
- When the impeller rotates freely, switch the breaker on.
- Switch on the water and garbage disposal
- Repeat the above steps for cleaning disposal if it does not spin.
This simple step is enough to fix a malfunctioned garbage disposal. But if you find it complex, you can take professional help.
Hopefully, this guide will help you regarding what size Allen wrench for garbage disposal.
You don’t need to be confused about the size and type of wrench for disposal.
Follow our tips to choose the right size Allen wrench and fix your disposal. It is a simple tool that can fix any clogged garbage disposal.
You don’t need to waste money on other tools if you have the right size Allen wrench.