What Size Generator To Run 2.5 Ton AC Unit? (Top Brand Pick)
We may earn affiliate fees for purchases using our links (at no additional cost to you).
This comes as no surprise that there are several types of generators and not all of them will allow you to power your air conditioner.
This should be your primary consideration when purchasing a generator for an air conditioner that is the appropriate size for a 2.5-ton air conditioner.
What Size Generator Do I Need To Run 2.5 Ton AC Unit?
To run a 2-5 ton AC unit, you’ll need a generator with a power output of between 7.5 and 20 kW.
These generators will support the efficient running of your air conditioner as well as allow you to operate other appliances.
Follow the chart for the generator sizes of 2.5 Ton AC.
|Minimum||7.5 kW||DuroMax Gas or Propane Powered Generator|
|Average||10 kW||Champion Power Equipment Generator|
|Maximum||20 kW||Westinghouse Home Backup Portable Generator|
How To Choose A Generator To Run An 2.5 Ton Air Conditioner?
Consider the following factors when purchasing a generator to power a 2.5-ton air conditioner:
The fuel is the most critical component that allows the generator to work effectively, and you intend to use it to power your air conditioner.
You’ll need a generator with a large fuel tank or one with two tanks added for this.
You’ll need to use a lot of gasoline to run the air conditioner, so be sure you have enough storage.
You should get an aircon generator that your house electrician can easily install.
Your home electrician would be familiar with your wiring and would find it simple to install the generator.
Repairing the generator would be tough, and you would have to pay a hefty price to hire a skilled electrician.
>> What generator size for travel trailer?
Automatic Transfer Switch
If you need to purchase a standby generator, you won’t have to worry about the transfer switch.
If you want to get the greatest generator for operating your air conditioner, you should get a transfer switch with it instead of extension cables.
There are other advantages, such as not having to manually turn on the generator after a power loss because the transfer switch does it automatically.
Generators allow you to keep up with your priorities even when the power goes out.
After a power loss, your air conditioner can still operate, thanks to a module known as the AC power control module which immediately shuts down the circuits with lower priority.
>What generator size to power electric pressure washer?
What Type of Generator Do I Need To Run A 2.5 Ton AC?
We can recommend you to use the following 2 types of generator for a 2.5 ton AC.
There is an option to run a 2.5 ton AC unit is to having a portable generator installed and wired directly to your electrical panel.
Using a large electrical portable generator will eliminate the need for someone to be present to start and connect it to the main breaker panel when the power goes down.
Whole House Generator
Many whole-house generators are intended to start and switch over in under a minute after the main power is turned off.
Because whole-house generators are frequently powered by propane or natural gas, there’s no need to stock up on gasoline cans or worry about the generator shutting down due to a lack of fuel.
How To Keep A Generator Safe To Run A 2.5 Ton AC?
We suggest you some safety tips to run your 2.5 AC unit.
Choose the Right Generator Size
Choosing the right generator size is crucial when running a 2.5-ton AC. A too small generator won’t be able to handle the load, while a too large one will be a waste of money.
To determine the right generator size, you need to calculate the wattage requirement of your AC unit.
Check the Fuel Source
Before running the generator, you need to ensure that you have enough fuel to keep it running.
Make sure that you have the right type of fuel for your generator and that it’s stored in a safe place.
It’s also a good idea to have extra fuel on hand, in case of emergencies.
Keep the Generator Dry
Generators are designed to be used outside, but they’re not waterproof. To keep your generator safe, you need to keep it dry.
Make sure that it’s placed on a dry surface and that it’s covered with a tarp or other waterproof material if it’s raining.
Use a Transfer Switch
A transfer switch is an essential safety feature when using a generator to power your AC unit.
It ensures that the generator is isolated from the grid and prevents back feed, which can be dangerous for utility workers.
Make sure that the transfer switch is installed correctly and that it’s tested regularly.
Maintain the Generator
Regular maintenance is crucial to keep your generator running smoothly and safely. Make sure that you change the oil and filter as recommended by the manufacturer.
Check the air filter and clean it if necessary. Also, inspect the generator for any signs of wear and tear, and replace any damaged parts as needed.
Keep the Generator Away from Children and Pets
Generators can be dangerous, especially for children and pets. Make sure that the generator is placed in a secure location, away from areas where children and pets play.
Also, make sure that the generator is turned off and cooled down before refueling it.
Best Generator To Run 2.5 Ton AC Unit
1. DuroMax XP12000EH Generator 12000 Watt Gas or Propane Powered Home Back Up
- Powerful DuroMax Engine: the XP12000EH is powered by a DuroMax, 457cc OHV engine.
- Dual fuel technology: the ability to run on propane or gasoline allows the freedom and flexibility of fuel choice. Protects your investment by automatically shutting the generator off when it senses that the oil is low
- Plenty of power: with 12,000 starting watts and 9, 500 running watts, This unit can handle heavy loads from lights and a refrigerator to a home air conditioner and high amperage power tools.
- Maximum power: with DuroMax MX2 technology, get the maximum power from each of the 120 volt receptacle. Choose between operating the generator at both 120 V and 240 V Simultaneously, or at 120 only with full power.
- Powering everyone anywhere: like all DuroMax generators, the XP12000EH is EPA and CARB approved For use in all 50 States.
- Engine Type: 4-Stroke
2. Champion Power Equipment 15,000/12,000-Watt Portable Generator
- Ultra-Powerful – At 15,000 starting watts and 12,000 running watts, enjoy up to 9 hours of run time on a full tank of gasoline with a noise level of 78 dBA from 23 feet
- Electric Start – Trust the reliable 717cc V-Twin Champion engine with its battery-included electric start featuring a reliable toggle switch, plus built-in Cold Start Technology for easy starts in cold weather
- Covered Outlets – One 120V 30A locking, a 120/240V 30A locking, a 120/240V 50A and four 120V 20A GFCI outlets, plus Volt Guard built-in surge protector prevents overloads and keeps your appliances and equipment safe
- Lift Hook – Designed for safe and easy transport, loading and unloading, plus the Intelligauge keeps track of voltage, hertz and run-time hours so you can easily monitor power output and track maintenance intervals
- Champion Support – includes 3-year limited warranty with FREE lifetime technical support from dedicated experts
3. Westinghouse WGen20000 Home Backup Portable Generator
- 20,000 Running Watts and 28,000 Peak Watts; Easy-Access Start Panel with Keyed Electric Start, Choke Knob, and Fuel Control Valve; Up to 17 Hours of Run Time at 25% load on a 17 Gallon Fuel Tank With Fuel Gauge
- Featuring Four GFCI 120V 5–20R Standard Household Outlets, Two 50A 120/240V 14-50R Outlets, Two 30A 120/240V L14-30R Outlets, and One 30A 120V L5-30R Outlet; All Outlets Have Rubber Covers for Added Safety
- Powered by a Heavy Duty 999cc Westinghouse V-Twin OHV Engine Featuring a Cast Iron Sleeve, Reinforced Steel Handles with Quick-Release Pins, Automatic Low Oil Shutdown, Idle Control, and Digital Readout Displaying Lifetime Run Hours, Volts, and Frequency.
- Plug-and-Play: Oil, Funnel, Setup Guide, and Manual to Get You Started Right Out of the Box
- All Westinghouse Portable Generators are Functionally Tested in the Factory and May Contain Minimum Residual Oil and/or Fuel Odor; EPA Compliant; Backed by 3-Year Limited Service, Labor, and Parts Coverage with Nationwide Customer Service Network
FAQs About The Right Size Generator To Run An 2.5 Ton AC Unit
How Can I Figure Out How Many Watts Do I Need To Run A 2.5 Ton AC Unit?
Ans: It’s important to know how many watts your air conditioner requires so that you can choose the finest generator for the job.
LRA refers to the maximum current necessary to start the engine.
If you want assistance, you may use an LRA calculator.
After you’ve received your LRA, you can start looking for the right size generator to power your air conditioner.
2. Will Generators Cause Damage To Electronic Devices When Running A 2.5 AC?
Many portable generators aren’t completely safe to operate around sensitive gadgets like televisions and PCs.
When the generator runs out of gas and stutters, the power might be unequal, and surges and voltage swings can destroy delicate circuits.
3. What Happens If My Generator Is Overloaded While Running A 2.5 Ton AC?
Portable generators should never be overloaded, yet for a short time, all portable generators may generate double their typical power.
When a generator is run for lengthy periods of time with an overload, several things might happen, such as overheating, burn out windings, low oil pressure, engine failure, and a little lifespan of the generator.
The Bottom Lines
When purchasing a generator for a 2.5 ton AC unit, there are numerous factors to consider.
It’s critical to make the best options possible based on these considerations if you want to get the most out of your generator.