We may earn affiliate fees for purchases using our links (at no extra cost to you).
All sorts of questions come up when you’re decorating your home. One question that seems to cause a lot of confusion is, can you put a square rug under a round table?
That’s the question we’re going to answer. We’ll look at a few different scenarios and determine the best way to do it! So, let’s get started!
Can You Put A Square Rug Under A Round Table
Yes, you can put a square rug under a round table! In fact, it can actually be quite stylish. The key is to make sure that the rug is big enough.
You want your rugs to be the right size so they don’t get lost under the table. Furthermore, round dining tables look fantastic with square rugs.
Dining rectangular or oval tables usually look best with a square rug. A square dining table generally works best with a square rug.
But you could try a square rug if you want something more playful and fun.
What Shape Rug Is Best Under A Round Table?
As we just mentioned, a square rug can actually look quite stylish under a round table.
However, if you’re looking for the absolute best option, you’ll want to choose a square rug.
Square rugs are designed specifically for round tables. They help to create an intimate and inviting setting. Plus, they’re much easier to find than other shapes.
Besides, if you can’t find a square rug, then you can always use two smaller rugs to create the same effect. Typically, your rug’s form will match your table’s shape.
However, the majority of floor rugs are circular. Placing a round rug beneath a round table or a long, rectangular rug beneath a long, rectangular table is your best bet.
Forming a pleasant frame around your table, a carpet of the corresponding shape will create visual cohesion in the room.
On the other hand, if you have a rectangular or oval table, you’ll want to choose a rectangular rug. Rectangular rugs are designed specifically for these types of tables.
They help to create a more formal look. Besides, they’re much easier to find than other shapes. But when it comes to round tables, square rugs are the way to go.
Moreover, it’s always good to have a big enough rug so people can pull out their chairs without having to worry about the rug getting in the way.
What Size Rug Should Go Under A Round Table?
A rectangular dining table is easy to style because it matches the shape of a rectangular rug, but round tables can be more challenging.
Depending on the size of your round table, it cannot be easy to find a rectangular rug that is large enough. So that there is 24″ of space all around the table.
That’s why it’s often a good idea to go with a square rug instead. The sizing of a table is important to consider.
Here are some typical sizes of round dining tables, as well as the minimum rug sizes required:
48″ dining table = at least 8’x10′ rug
60″ dining table = at least 9’x12′ rug
If you have a modest dining room, a 9’x12′ rug may appear too prominent.
You’re probably correct, which is why some people choose a round rug instead of a rectangular one.
A round rug under a dining table can be beautiful and change the look of your room. If you decide to go this route, make sure the rug is large enough.
People with round rugs, in particular, wind up with rugs that are a little larger than their table, which looks odd and uncomfortable.
Let’s look at our typical-sized round dining tables once again, this time with a rug:
48″ dining table = at least 8′ square rug
60″ dining table = at least 9′ square rug
As you can see, a square rug can actually look quite stylish under a round table. So, it’s definitely an option worth considering.
Because when it comes to style, the most important thing is that you’re happy with the way your home looks.
And if a square rug under a round table makes you happy, then that’s all that matters.
Tips For Getting The Right Rug For A Round Table?
When it comes to round tables, the most important thing is to make sure that the rug is big enough.
You’ll want to ensure its large enough that it doesn’t get lost easily. Below we will give you some tips on how to get the right rug for a round table.
- Err on the side of too big: Your dining room rug should extend 24 inches on all sides of the table to give guests plenty of space to pull out chairs without stumbling. It’s even better to find a rug with an even wider border. In order to ensure you are purchasing the correctly sized rug, measure your dining table and add 24 inches or more on each side. Then, use painter’s tape to mark the area directly onto your floor.
- Pick a flat weave or short pile rug: A low-pile or flat weave rug is a good option if you have young children or pets. Not only are they easier to keep clean, but they are also less likely to cause falls. However, if you have a more formal dining room, you may want to choose a higher pile rug for a luxurious look and feel. Try to select a rug that is made of natural fibers such as wool or cotton. Not only are they more durable, but they also tend to be more comfortable underfoot.
- Choose a pattern or print: A round dining table is an excellent opportunity to experiment with a bolder rug design. If your table is simple and understated, choose a rug with a more intricate pattern. Conversely, if your dining table is very ornate, select a rug with a more straightforward design. When in doubt, go for something classic, like a striped or chevron pattern. So long as the colors complement each other, you can’t go wrong.
- Find the right color: The color of your dining room rug should complement the overall color palette of your space. If your dining room is light and airy, consider a rug in a darker hue to ground the space. On the other hand, if your dining room is on the darker side, opt for a lighter-colored rug to brighten things up. If you’re having trouble finding the perfect color, a neutral carpet is always a safe bet.
- Choose easy-clean materials: Since your dining room rug will inevitably get spills and stains, it’s essential to choose a material that is easy to clean. Materials like wool and polypropylene are good options because they are durable and can be easily spot-cleaned as needed. Besides, it’s always a good idea to have a backup plan for spills and stains by keeping a small Rug Doctor Portable Spot Cleaner on hand.
- Match rug shape to table shape: When choosing a rug for a round dining table, selecting a rug with a similar shape is crucial. This will give the area a coherent appearance and help to define it. For example, choose a round rug if you have a round dining table. If you have an oval dining table, choose an oval rug. Otherwise, you can always go for a more traditional rectangular rug. Just make sure it’s big enough!
So, those are our tips for how to choose the right rug for a round dining table.
Always try to err on the side of too big, and make sure to pick a rug in a complementary color.
And most importantly, have fun with it! After all, your house should represent your unique personality.
What Size Rug Should I Get For A Round Dining Table?
You’ll need a rug that’s at least 8 feet round for a 48″ dining table, and at least 9 feet round for a 60″ dining table. Besides size, you’ll also want to consider style, material, and pattern when choosing a rug for your dining room.
Keep in mind that the rug should extend 24 inches on all sides of the table to give guests plenty of space to pull out chairs without stumbling.
Can I Put A Round Table On A Rectangular Rug?
Yes, you can put a round table on a rectangular rug. However, you’ll want to ensure that the rug is large enough, so it doesn’t get lost easily. Also, you must be careful not to put the rug too close to the wall.
So that it doesn’t look like it’s floating in the middle of the room. Even if your rug is the right size, it may not look good if it’s not in proportion to the rest of the furniture in the room.
How Do You Use A Square Rug?
A square rug can be used in many different ways. It can be used to define a space, such as a conversation area or an entryway.
It can also be used to add color or pattern to a room. But, If you use a rug, leave around one to two feet of space on all sides of the carpet. The rug should be centered in the room.
When choosing a rug for your dining room, there are many factors to consider. But the most important thing is to choose a rug that you love.
Have fun with it, and let your style shine through. After reading this article, you should better understand how to choose the right rug for your dining room.