We may earn affiliate fees for purchases using our links (at no additional cost to you).
Can you put a fluffy rug in the washing machine? This is a question that many people have.
In this article, we will discuss how to wash a fluffy rug in the washing machine properly. So, continue reading to find out more.
Can You Put A Fluffy Rug In The Washing Machine?
If possible, it is best to avoid cleaning your shaggy rug in the washing machine as it may harm the deep pile and cause shedding.
Also, it is essential to read the care label on your rug before you wash it. If the care label says “Dry Clean Only,” then you should not put the rug in the washing machine.
However, if the care label says “Machine Washable,” then you can set the rug in the washing machine.
Best Methods For Cleaning A Fluffy Rug
Shag rugs are soft and pleasant, but what if they get soiled? There are a variety of techniques to clean your shag rug, depending on how filthy it is.
Suck It Up
Your shag carpet has a dingy appearance. It isn’t discolored, but it does need to be refreshed. Vacuuming the dust off can revitalize the fluff and renew the rug.
Follow the below steps to vacuum your shag rug:
- Set the vacuum to the correct height. You don’t want to damage the fibers by setting the vacuum too low.
- Begin in a corner and work your way out.. Use gentle strokes, and don’t press too hard on the vacuum as you go.
- Be especially careful around tassels or other areas that could become caught in the vacuum. If possible, use a handheld attachment to avoid this altogether.
- Once you’re done vacuuming, fluff up the rug with your hands to restore its natural shape.
if you have a spill or other small spot that needs to be cleaned, you can do so by following these steps. To clean a small spot, you will need the below Items:
- White towel (for wet stains)
- Mild dish soap or detergent
- Soft bristle brush
If you have the above items, follow these steps to clean the spot:
- First, blot the stain with a white towel to remove as much liquid as possible.
- Next, mix a small amount of water with mild dish soap or detergent.
- Dip the bristles of the soft brush into the soapy water and then lightly scrub the stained area.
- Finally, rinse the area with clean water and blot it dry with a towel.
Beating your shag rug is an effective way to clean it, but it should only be done if the rug is not too dirty. If the rug is very dirty, you should vacuum or shampoo it instead.
To beat your shag rug, follow these steps:
- First, take the rug outside and shake it vigorously to remove any loose dirt or debris.
- Next, hang the rug over a clothesline or railing and beat it with a broom to loosen any embedded dirt.
- Finally, vacuum the rug to pick up any dirt loosened by the beating.
If you don’t have a steam cleaner and your rug isn’t dry clean only, consider hand-washing it. Never put a washing machine to work on your rug.
Even the most delicate cycle may be too harsh for some carpets. You will need the below supplies to hand-wash your fluffy rug:
- The tub or another area to wash the rug
- Mild detergent
- Soft bristle brush
Now follow the below steps to hand-wash your rug:
- First, fill the tub or another area with enough lukewarm water to submerge the rug.
- Next, add a mild detergent to the water and stir it to create suds.
- Submerge the rug in the sudsy water and gently use your hands to agitate it.
- Use the soft bristle brush to scrub any stubborn stains.
- Once you’re finished scrubbing, rinse the rug thoroughly with clean water.
- Finally, hang the rug outside or in a well-ventilated area to dry.
So, there you have it! These are some of the best methods for cleaning a shag rug.
Remember to vacuum regularly and spot clean spills as soon as they happen to keep your rug looking its best.
Don’t forget to beat and shampoo your rug every few months to remove any embedded dirt.
Tips To Make A Shag Rug Fluffy Again
Shag rugs are known for their luxurious, fluffy texture. But over time, even the best shag rug can start to look a little flat.
If your shag rug seems a little lackluster, there are a few things you can do to make it look fluffy again.
To revive your rug, start by giving it a good steam cleaning. This will help to fluff up the fibers and remove any dirt or dust that may be embedded in the rug.
You can rent a steam cleaner from your local hardware store or use a handheld steamer. Also, vacuum the rug before steam cleaning to remove any surface dirt.
Keep in mind that steam cleaning may cause the rug to shed a little. So do it in an area where shedding is not a concern.
After steam cleaning, gently use a stiff-bristled brush to fluff up the rug’s fibers. Start at one end and work your way towards the other in gentle, sweeping motions.
This will help to give the rug some volume and make it look fluffy again. Besides, brushing also helps distribute the natural oils in the fibers, giving the rug a healthy sheen.
If you have a shag rug with longer fibers, you may want to try using a carpet rake. This is a unique tool that is designed to fluff up shag rugs.
Run the rake over the rug’s surface in gentle strokes to use it. Be sure to go slowly at first and avoid applying too much pressure, as this could damage the fibers.
As you can see, you can do a few things to make your shag rug look fluffy again.
Start by giving it a good steam cleaning, and then use a brush or rake to fluff up the fibers.
With a little care, you can keep your shag rug looking luxurious for years to come.
How To Take Proper Care Of A Fluffy Rug
Shag rugs are beautiful and can add a touch of luxury to any room. However, they are subject to various conditions that must be dealt with on a regular basis.
Follow the below tips to properly care for your shag rug:
- Vacuum regularly: Vacuuming is essential for all types of rugs, but it’s necessary for shag rugs. The long fibers of a shag rug can quickly become matted down and tangled. Vacuuming regularly will help keep the threads looking fluffy and prevent them from becoming matted.
- Spot clean spills immediately: Shag rugs are very absorbent, so it’s important to spot clean spills as soon as they happen. Otherwise, the spill will likely penetrate the fibers and be challenging to remove.
- Brush or rake regularly: In addition to vacuuming, you should also brush or rake your shag rug on a regular basis. This will help fluff the fibers up and keep them looking their best.
- Keep the floor under your rug dust-free: It’s essential to keep the floor under your shag rug clean and dust-free. Otherwise, the dirt and dust will be transferred to the carpet every time you walk on it.
- Use a mat: To further protect your shag rug, you may want to place a carpet underneath it. This will help catch any dirt or dust tracked onto the rug.
- Place your rug in low-traffic areas: Shag rugs are best suited for low-traffic areas, such as living rooms and bedrooms. The long fibers can quickly become matted down in high-traffic areas, such as hallways or entryways.
- Remove your shoes before walking on your rug: It’s always a good idea to remove your shoes before walking on any rug. This will help to prevent dirt and debris from being tracked onto the rug.
Take proper care of your shag rug; it will last many years. By following the above tips, you can keep your rug looking its best for years.
Can You Brush A Fluffy Rug?
Yes, you can brush a fluffy rug. Also, you can use a stiff-bristled brush to fluff up the rug’s fibers. Start at one end and work your way towards the other in gentle, sweeping motions.
Can You Wash A Fluffy Rug In The Bath?
Yes, you can wash a fluffy rug in the bathtub. Just be sure to use a mild detergent and avoid scrubbing the rug too harshly. Also, be sure to rinse the carpet thoroughly after washing to remove all traces of soap.
Can I Pressure Wash A Fluffy Rug?
Yes, you can pressure wash a fluffy rug. You can use a pressure washer to brighten up your rugs if they look dingy. So, if you have a pressure washer, you can use it to clean your carpets.
As you can see, you can do a few things to make your fluffy rug look its best.
It would be best if you had to vacuum and brush regularly and spot clean spills immediately. We hope you found this guide helpful.